Taken, with modifications, from The Deen Show.
- Form the intention in the heart to purify oneself from major impurity: janaabah (impurity following sexual discharge), menses or nifaas (postpartum bleeding).
- Then say Bismillah (in your heart while in bathroom) and wash the hands three times, then wash any dirt from the private part.
- Then do wudhu as for prayer, a complete wudhu.
- Then pour water over the head three times, and rub the hair so that the water reaches the roots of the hair.
- Wash the body, making sure that the water reaches all parts, starting with the right side of the body and then the left, and rubbing it with the hands so that the water reaches the entire body (except for the privates, which you washed at the beginning). You can rub water into your back by pressing against a shower curtain.
You can perform ghusul while taking a bath or a shower.